The work of the church is limited to what is written of in the New Testament, Preaching the Gospel, teaching the Edification and Benevolence.
Preaching the Gospel
A work of the local church is to preach the gospel. During services on Sunday a preacher gives a sermon. The sermon has these purposes in mind:
To teach and admonish those in attendants (Impart and build up the members desire for a strong faithfulness)and to reach out to those in attendance not yet Christians to obey the gospel.
Sermons can be built around events from the Old and New Testaments. Maybe a character from the Old Testament, a parable from the New Testament, as noted events which are through out the Old and New Testaments.
Some Verses on Preaching the Gospel
1 Corinthians 9:7-10, 14 (NASB)
Here Paul in his letter relates to the church at Corinth some common sense practices that in a sermon a preacher can also relate to those in attendance some common sense practices. Note verse 14, he’s talking about those who proclaim the gospel which applies to preachers and evangelists.
- 7 Who goeth a warfare any time at his own charges? who planteth a vineyard, and eateth not of the fruit thereof? or who feedeth a flock, and eateth not of the milk of the flock?
- 8 Say I these things as a man? or saith not the law the same also?
- 9 For it is written in the law of Moses, Thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn. Doth God take care for oxen?
- 10 Or saith he it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written: that he that ploweth should plow in hope; and that he that thresheth in hope should be partaker of his hope.
- 14 So also the Lord directed those who proclaim the gospel to get their living from the gospel.
Ephesians 3:10 (NASB)
The manifold wisdom of God is proclaimed by a preacher in a church service and also members can spread God’s word.
- 10 in order that the manifold wisdom of God might now be made known through the church to the rulers and the authorities in the heavenly places.
Ephesians 4:8, 11-12 (KJV)
Note, how these verses refer to only men.
- 8 “and gave gifts unto men”
- 11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
- 12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
Philippians 4:15 (NASB)
Note verse 15 preaching the gospel is mentioned.
- 15 And you yourselves also know, Philippians, that at the first preaching of the gospel, after I departed from Macedonia, no church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving but you alone;
1 Timothy 3:15 (NASB)
Here Paul in his letter is proclaiming (preaching) to Timothy about how one ought to conduct himself in the household of God, which in a church service would apply to a preacher.
- 15 but in case I am delayed, I write so that you may know how one ought to conduct himself in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and support of the truth.