A history study on the Baptist Church can only trace its beginning back to 1609. History records that the first Baptist Church was formed by, John Smyth, who had been a clergyman in the Church of England, in 1609.
While the Church that Jesus built opened its doors in 33 A.D. on the day of Pentecost Acts 2:38.
- 38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
- “and the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved”, Acts 2:47.
Here we can see that the Baptist Church and the Church Jesus built are two different churches.
Another interesting fact is location, the Baptist Church where it was established in 1607 differs from the location of the Church that Jesus built in Jerusalem Israel.
1607 was during the Reformation movement, much occurred in that time period Certain skilled men during that time attempted at reforming the Roman Catholic church. in their attempts to bring about a change these men separated themselves from the Roman church forming their own type of groups each with its own form of government and system of doctrines.
Starting in the 15th century and running into the 17th, the Reformation movement was strong and the word Protestant was applied to certain churches which emerged out of it, meaning protest or protesting.
Some churches which emerged became known as:
- The Lutherans church accredited to being started by Martin Luther
- The Presbyterian church started by John Knox in 1560
- The first Baptist church was started in Holland by John Smyth in 1609.
- In America the first Baptist Church was founded by Roger Williams at Providence, Rhode Island in 1639 A.D.
From history Historians tell us that the Baptist Church came out of Anabaptism. A Baptist Protestant movement in the 16th century that believed in baptizing only adults, not infants.
Baptists Church members bare the name Baptist while members of the Lord’s Church are called Christians. Acts 11:26
- “And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch”.