In a church service a sermon should include Edification. Have uplifting and enlightenment comments which will strengthen those in attendants spiritually towards faith and strengthen their desire to walk in righteousness, which would include, conducting their life as a good citizen, if married as a good spouse and if children are involved teachings values as morals parental obedience and respect, also to others. Well informed New Testament teachings is the guide.
Some Verses on Teaching the Edification
Ephesians 4:11-12 (NASB)
Here Paul is talking about how in the early church the Lord gave some men certain gifts to do the work of the church (“for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ”).
- 11 And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers,
- 12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ;
2 Timothy 2:2 (NASB)
Here Paul is talking about in his Epistles (letters) how he wrote to churches, Edifying (uplifting) comments, and here he urges Timothy to do the same.
- 2 And the things which you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses, these entrust to faithful men, who will be able to teach others also.
Hebrews 5:12-14 (NASB)
Here the author is admonishing those for being dull of hearing, they were not Edifying, and at this time they should of been teachers.
- 12 For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you have need again for someone to teach you the elementary principles of the oracles of God, and you have come to need milk and not solid food.
- 13 For everyone who partakes only of milk is not accustomed to the word of righteousness, for he is a babe.
- 14 But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil.
In this day and age a sermon as composed by the preacher should be comments on edification (uplifting), enlightenment), strengthening those in attendants.
Bible study classes before the morning church service and during a weekday class contributes highly for church members to grow in the study of Gods word.
As church members grow their faithfulness increases strengthening their constants push forward to overcome The trials and tribulations of this world. As Christ in Revelations 2:7 notes:
- 7 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.