The New Testament Scripture indicating what the name of the Church should be.
Colossans 1:18 (NASB)
18 He is also head of the body, the church; and He is the beginning, the first-born from the dead; so that He Himself might come to have first place in everything.
Note, if he is to have first place in every thing the Church should be in his name.
How a Church of Christ meats and functions:
- The Church of Christ meets on the first day of the week.
- Bible study say would begin at 10 AM for one hour.
- The Service say would start at 11 AM for around one hour.
- Some psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, would flash on a screen behind the pulpit for the members to sing.
- The Lords supper would be next, consisting of a certain bread and the fruit of the vine, along with the collection.
The Service would continue with a Sermon by the Preacher, it may consist of:
A subject consisting of, a topic in the New Testament or a topic in the Old Testament or a subject relating too members up lifting or A characteristic property of someones make-up that needs working on .
The Service would conclude with a religious song and a prayer.
During the week say, wednesday a Bible hour would be held say from 7 to eight PM, or from eight to 9 PM.
Eight to 9 may be to late,members would decide.
Each Church of Christ are Autonomous, self governing, not controled by an outside source.
self-ruling, self-legislating, sovereign, absolute, non-aligned with other Churches of Christ.
Notice, also not Denominational.
To become a member of the Church of Christ you must follow the Plan of Salvation:
Plan of Salvation, Hear, Believe, Repent, Confess, Be Baptised, Live Faithful:
Baptism is done in complete emersion in water.
An example of the eunuch being Baptized, Acts 8:36-39 (KJV)
36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?
37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.
39 And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.
Note the eunuch; went into the water and came out of it, complete emersion in the water.
Plan of Salvation:
- Hear, Romans 10:17, So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ.
- Believe, John 8:24, “I said therefore to you, that you shall die in your sins; for unless you believe that I am He, you shall die in your sins.”
- Repent, Acts 2:38, And Peter said to them, “Repent, and let each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
- Confess, Matthew 16:16, And Simon Peter answered and said, “Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.”
- Be Baptised, 1 Peter 3:21, And corresponding to that, baptism now saves you– not the removal of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal to God for a good conscience– through the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
- Live Faithful, Galatians 5:1, Be Not Entangled Again With the Yoke of Bondage.
2 Peter 2:20-22:
20 For if after they have escaped the defilements of the world by the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and are overcome, the last state has become worse for them than the first.
21 For it would be better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to turn away from the holy commandment delivered to them.
22 It has happened to them according to the true proverb, “A DOG RETURNS TO ITS OWN VOMIT,” and, “A sow, after washing, returns to wallowing in the mire.”