The New Testament Church in 33 AD at Jerusalem almost 2000 years ago became a reality. Christ ascended to heaven Acts 1:9 and the doors were opened in Acts 2:38.
The early Church was formed with special gifs given by God to certain men, But these were to be temporary because the New Testament hadn’t been written yet.
In Ephesians 4:11-12 (KJV) we note:
- 11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
- 12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
Gifts, Tongues, Wisdom, 1 Corinthians 12:1, 7-11 (NASB)
- 1 Now concerning spiritual gifts,brethren, I do not want you to be unaware.
- 7 But to each one is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good.
- 8 For to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, and to another the word of knowledge according to the same Spirit;
- 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, and to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit,
- 10 and to another the effecting of miracles, and to another prophecy, and to another the distinguishing of spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, and to another the interpretation of tongues.
- 11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually just as He wills.
The predictions of the removal of these special gifs, 1 Corinthians 13:8-10 (KJV)
- 8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
- 9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
- 10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
That which is perfect would be the New Testament when it became available. “that which is in part shall be done away”, is the special gifts as noted in verse 8.
These special gifts were needed in the development of that early church because the 27 books in the New Testament hadn’t been written yet and would take decades to be written.
The New Testament was put together at the last of the first century or the beginning of the second. But the Church started to go astray some time towards the end of the second century.
Matthew in 7:15-16 foretold to beware of false prophets, and also Paul the apostle wrote in 1 Timothy 4:1:
- 1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
It was replaced in time down through the centuries by the progressing Roman Catholic church. By the sixth century in and around Europe it was the only dominant church. And as it progressed to the sixteenth century the precedent had been set you could give a church the name of your choice.
The Reformation started in the sixteenth century by Martin Luther produced new churches and after this time period it grew into the thousand through out the world we have today.
The following eight articles give an account of the make up of the true New Testament Church.
Set a time to read and study these articles, as a member of the New Testament Church (Church of Christ) it is your promise of eternal life.