The Church of Christ name is the only church spoke of in the New Testament. As can be amply (and more than adequately) inferred in, Colossians 1:18 (KJV). Note at the end of the verse, “that in all things he might have the preeminence”.
Strongs Numbers, on Preeminence, Colossians 1:18
to be first (in rank or influence):
KJV – have the preeminence.
Thayer’s Greek Lexicon on Preeminence, Colossians 1:18
to be first, hold the first place,
If Christ is to be first in all things, it stands the church should bear his name.
Also note in, Romans 16:16 (KJV)
- 16 Salute one another with an holy kiss. The churches of Christ salute you
As mentioned the Roman Catholic Church set a precedent when it called the New Testament Church the Catholic Church and the Reformation movement followed suit.
As noted as the centuries rolled on thousands of unscriptural churches have come into being, because of this precedent.
If you can give a church a name like the Catholic church did and the churches that the Reformation movement produced it follows suit, a name can be given to any so called church that fits or sounds good.
Check out this website to see the monumental number of Christian oriented churches that have sprung up in countries around the world:
The home page is a list of countries, click onto a country and note the numerous, unscriptural churches in it. This precedent that has been set needs to be addressed and challenged. People are led into unscriptural churches unknowingly that a false precedent had been set.
A much needed attempt has been put together in this article to expose the precedent set forth against the New Testament.
Note these scriptures:
“The god of this world”, Satan, 2 Corinthians 4:4 (KJV)
- 4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
2 Thessalonians 1:7-9 (KJV)
- 7 And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,
- 8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:
- 9 Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;
Of course what has been exposed here in this article will be denied by the multitude of these unscriptural churches, scriptures will be found and falsely read into supporting their claim as a scriptural church.
Authority of the Bible, 2 Timothy 3:16-17 (KJV)
- 16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
- 17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.
But enough has been presented here with New Testament verses to support the claim in this article. Search for the truth, there are many articles on this site where it can bee found.
The truth followed by becoming a Christian has the reward of eternal life. Amen.
Lay not up treasures upon earth, But lay up treasures in heaven, Matthew 6:19-21 (KJV)
- 19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
- 20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
- 21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.